Sunday, March 6, 2016

Winter hits!--Month 6

This month has been winter, for sure. We have had snow, ice and cold. Our house remains cozy and warm, thanks to grandpa, who fixed the fireplace over the Christmas break. 


The kids reluctantly started the new semester. This one, however, is going much more smoothly than the last. It seems that we have finally settled in. The kids know the routine and don't feel like they are always a step behind everyone else. Things are going much better, in that respect.


Dane had a music competition this month, ISSA. He was in a saxophone quartet and a large wind ensemble. His groups won gold medals in both! The guy that critiqued the larger group was weird, but had an incredible ear. When we walked in, he started telling us all a story that had no point and no end. When they handed him the music, he stopped the story, and told the group to go ahead. At the end, he could tell the students which ones played well, which ones hit wrong notes (along with exactly where each was hit in the music)--all within a band of 15 different kids and four or five different instruments. He also gave the group pointers on how to create more musicality. I don't know how someone can listen to the piece as a whole, and each of the different instruments, from each of the different kids, while looking at the music for the first time, and putting it all together in minutes.


Dyllan swam in her first swim meet. It was an in-house swim meet. She had three events: 50m backstroke, 50m breaststroke, and 50m freestyle. In her heats, she came in 1st, 2nd, and 1st. She did very well. She is excited to swim more and wants to be the "top swimmer in high school". She has a lot of work to do it, but she is on her way!


Deagan has continued with hockey. He is still enjoying it. He usually scores 3-5 goals on game days. This week, he gets to try out being goalie. He is very excited for this new challenge. We'll see how it goes. 


Danyon has also continued swimming lessons. He asks almost every day if it is swimming day. He loves it! Especially if he gets to see his friend, Ethan. Danyon can swim 10 feet and roll over on his own. He just needs to work on a stronger forward pull to go to the next level.


Dan has traveled a lot this month. He has tried to make it to everyone's kick off meetings for the new year. Starting tomorrow, he has a new job title. He is now Director of Food Chain and Market Access . That should keep him busy for awhile. I'm afraid that he will probably be traveling a lot in the next few months trying to get everything set up for his new role. Although he has been traveling a lot, he still has the travel bug. He has planned 3 family trips for us coming soon this year. He also traveled back to Canada this month, sadly, for the funeral of his grandmother. Dan was grateful that he could be with his family. The rest of us were sad that we couldn't make it.  


I have been busy getting the kids to their normal activities. I also found time to start quilting again. I bought a kit of island fabrics with my Christmas money, and I got started right away. It took me only 2 days to get the top all finished. I also made a wreath for the front door. And I made a cute Valentine's centerpiece. It has been fun to get back into creating things again. I think I have been trying to get back to my crafting roots, as I was asked to be the Camp Crafter for girls camp. I'm not really sure what that will entail, but I figured I better get working on something.


It has been getting lighter in the evenings. The sun doesn't set until after 6:00pm now. We had a very unusual 60 degree day yesterday, and I'm starting to get Spring Fever--already. I've been working on eating healthier and exercising every day. It has really been a chore to get back into a workout routine. I have not enjoyed it, and every day has been a struggle to get it done. I feel like I finally had a small break through this week (not with weight loss), but with energy levels. It seems like every time I work out, it drains me of energy and I have no desire to continue. This week, after a couple of my workouts, I've actually felt like I had more energy. The desire to workout is still not strong, but it is getting better. I'm hoping that it is my metabolism that is changing and I will drop the weight! It is certainly a slow process to have only lost 2 pounds in a month of eating healthy and exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment