Monday, April 15, 2013

Getting Back to Normal-Woche 10

We have been fighting to get things back into gear.  We are all still wishing we were still on vacation.  This week things have been fairly normal.  The kids went back to school.  I stayed home with Danyon, and Dan was in town.  I spent a lot of time on the computer trying to plan and book our summer vacation.  There are so many choices, but we narrowed it down.  Not too much excitment for a blog.

Dan and I started exercising again this week.  It has been 6-8 months since we have had a regular exercise schedule, thus we will not be posting our "before" pictures on this blog.  We are finally feeling the need to get things back in shape.  It hurt though.  I do believe I saw Dan in tears after our second day.  His abs hurt him so much, that he had to grab his pant legs and pull with his arms to get up out of the couch.  Dan can assure you, I wasn't doing much better.  I had my share of complaining and moaning about having to go up the stairs.  We are experimenting with a different regimen this time around, as Dan's knees are not good.  We've decided to do weights every other day (Body For Life style) and Insanity on the other days.  Our first week, other than being very sore, we did pretty good.  We only missed one workout of six.---And on Sunday, I was asked if I had lost weight!!  My response was, "Not yet, but I'm working on it!"  Now, if only I could get those chocolate bars to quit jumping into my shopping cart . . .

Dan joined a softball team that is made up of a bunch of people in the ward.  The games are late in the evenings to make sure everyone is home from work (the work day here starts later and goes longer than is usual in the U.S.  Dan's co-workers don't roll into work until about 9:00 or later.  But, they stay late as well.)  So, since it's late, I don't get to go and cheer.  Apparently, on their team, there isn't much to cheer for.  They lost the game by 30 runs.


Enjoying the 1st ferris wheel
Danyon's first taste of cotton candy
Since we have had a couple of days of beautiful weather, we decided to take the kids to the Prater.  It is a park/amusement park/museum, etc.  They have a really old, really high ferris wheel.  It is "the thing to do" at Prater.  So we found the ferris wheel, and we got on.  When we were in the air, we realized that there was another ferris wheel in the park--one that looked older.  So, we were on the wrong ferris wheel.  But the kids had a great time.  Dane has decided that he does not like roller coasters (maybe he's not related to me) and he's afraid of heights.  But, since the first roller coaster was such fun torture, we decided to go on the other one, too.  I told Dane not to worry, the other one was closed in, so the fact that it was older, much, much, older, and quite possibly rickety, didn't matter.  So, the real ferris wheel, has little train car type boxes that a whole group of people can go into.  Then you have an amazing view of the city.  Dane was uneasy as the entire group moved to one side to look at the view, and the "box" tilted to that side.  By the end of the circle though, he was joking about everyone going to one side and jumping, just to see what it would do.  You can rent one of the "boxes" for an elegant dinner.  I don't know how many times you would go around the circle for the dinner, but Dane and I figured maybe once per course.  We learned that you can rent a box for tea as well.  But considering the price we paid to just ride it, I think we will opt to not do either of those.


The special dining car
Before the fateful fall
We live over by the mountains on the right side
After the rides, we went for a walk in the park.  The kids played on a playground.  The equipment they have in the parks is fun.  I don't think that they could have most of the equipment on the playgrounds in the U.S.  It would considered too much of a liability.  Of all the activities we have done here, we have not signed a single waiver.  Even for the skiing lessons, camel rides, and trips with tour guides, there was no paperwork to do.  Speaking of liabilities though, Deagan did have a little mishap.  We told him it was time to leave the park.  Instead of listening, he decided he would climb to the top again.  He did, and was in a hurry to get down, because the rest of us were leaving.  He ended up slipping and falling, from about a 1/3 of the way down.  The ropes caught his feet about 1/2 way down and flipped him over to land on the ropes on his back, and he fell again and landed on his side on the bottom rung of ropes.  We're lucky he didn't go from the top to the bottom.  It would have been much worse than just a few bruises.  He got the wind knocked out of him, and hopefully he learned a little lesson on obedience.














1 comment:

  1. Proud of you for getting back into the exercise. Keep it up. I joined Golds Gym here in Waco. I hope to do weights three days and cardio three days as well each week. Ran along the bosque river this morning and watch some boat races. It was fun!

    ReplyDelete